BALTIMORE -- The Royals, who currently have 10 players on the disabled list, got a few bits of good news on Friday.
Catcher Salvador Perez saw his first live action since having left knee surgery in March, while lefty starter Jonathan Sanchez will make his first Minor League rehab start for Triple-A Omaha on Tuesday.
In addition, Royals manager Ned Yost said right-hander Blake Wood underwent successful Tommy John surgery on Friday.
Perez caught three innings and went 4-for-4 with a home run and a hit-by-pitch in an extended spring game in Surprise, Ariz. He is slated to be the designated hitter in Saturday's extended game. Perez was originally projected for a July return, but is now expected to be back with the Royals in late June.
Sanchez, on the 15-day disabled list with left biceps tendinitis, threw five innings in extended spring on Thursday without any setbacks.
Sanchez struck out seven batters and his velocity was in the 89-94 mph range, an improvement on the 87-89 mph he was throwing earlier in the recovery process.
"He threw very well," manager Ned Yost said. "Definitely making progress."
Wood, who had been dealing with ulnar collateral ligament damage since 2009 and had not pitched since Spring Training, underwent Tommy John surgery in Los Angeles without any complications.
Left-hander Danny Duffy's Tommy John surgery has been scheduled for Thursday.