CLOSE

Now Commenting On:

Rangers not giving up on Borbon yet

Rangers not giving up on Borbon yet

ARLINGTON -- There is no Julio Borbon watch as far as a demotion goes, at least not yet, despite the center fielder's struggles at the plate a month into the season.

The 24-year-old, in what the Rangers want to be his first full season in the Major Leagues, had a 3-for-16 road trip in Seattle and Oakland. He is batting .193 and has a subpar .212 on-base percentage, which is why he started the season batting leadoff and has made his last 13 starts hitting ninth.

Borbon was in the starting lineup again Thursday night against Kansas City, and the Rangers seem prepared to give Borbon the same treatment they gave first baseman Chris Davis last year

More

Davis didn't get sent to the Minors until July 6 while suffering through similar hitting woes. "We'd like to see Borbon do better," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "But beyond that, I've got no comment on the Borbon situation right now. He's in the lineup tonight and we've got confidence in him."

Washington said initially Thursday that Borbon's situation was different from Davis', but then also compared Davis' 2009 start to Borbon's 2010 beginning with both players playing well in the field but not hitting. Davis had 258 at-bats before getting sent down with a .202 batting average. Borbon has 83 at-bats so far.

"I gave Chris a good while, too," Washington said. "That's my M.O."

The Rangers will have a roster move to make next Wednesday when Nelson Cruz is expected to come off the disabled list. As of Thursday they weren't considering Borbon to be sent to the Minors. They could use Craig Gentry as a fourth outfielder and put him in center field along with Josh Hamilton.

But it's Borbon for the foreseeable future, Washington said.

"We're not panicking," Washington said. "I'm not panicking. When we decide Borbon doesn't need to be out there you guys will know about it."

Less